Oral Cancer Screening - Chevy Chase, MD
Stay Proactive with Your Whole Body Wellness
Dr. Ronan Freyne and the rest of our team aren’t just dedicated to improving your smile – we also want to help you enjoy a better overall quality of life as well through our efforts! That’s why we incorporate oral cancer screenings into every routine dental exam here in Chevy Chase, MD. Oral cancer is a serious and oftentimes life-threatening condition that needs to be identified as soon as possible, and we have the skills and experience needed to find those tell-tale symptoms right away. Please contact our office today if you have any questions, or if you’re ready to schedule a visit.
How Do I Know If I Have Oral Cancer?
The most likely indications of oral cancer include the following:
- White or red spots within the mouth
- Sores that bleed very easily or are suspiciously slow to heal
- Thickened areas of skin, rough spots, or lumps
- Unexplained feelings of numbness, tenderness, or outright pain on the lips or within the mouth
- Any ongoing difficulties with swallowing, chewing, or moving the jaw and/or tongue
What Happens During The Oral Cancer Screening Process?
Oral cancer screenings are simple and comfortable for the patient, and our whole team is well-trained to perform them. During your screening, we will perform a thorough visual examination of your mouth, and we will also feel around the throat and the mouth in order to detect anything that may be abnormal in nature. If we discover any troubling symptoms, a brush test can collect cells from the suspicious area. We will send these cells to a trusted laboratory for analysis, and if the test comes back positive, a further biopsy and diagnosis is strongly recommended.
How Can I Prevent Oral Cancer?
- Avoid tobacco products altogether and keep your alcohol exposure to a moderate level.
- Limit sun exposure and use sunscreen on both your skin and your lips when applicable.
- Enjoy a diet that’s well-balanced and healthy.
If you suspect that you may be suffering from oral cancer, don’t wait to reach out to Dr. Freyne’s office for assistance. The earlier your case is diagnosed, the better chances are that you will experience a fully successful recovery.